Factory Conversion in Bregenz, Austria
Built in 1923 as a factory for knitwear production, the building now accommodates offices on two floors and in the converted attic space. The architects’ own office is on the second floor. The existing solid brick walls and the timber beam floors were retained. By inserting independent working cubicles in an open-plan layout, it was possible to preserve the continuity of the large internal space. The timber central posts and main beams of the floor construction had to be replaced with steel sections in order to support the increased loads from the converted attic storey. Additional space was gained on this floor by the insertion of dormer strips that allow daylight to enter from both sides.