This information centre was opened to mark the 150th anniversary of the publishing of the “Kalevala”, the Finnish national epic. The centre comprises a new structure – originally planned for a different site – integrated into an existing building dating from 1950. The complex is distinguished by its large single-plane planted roof, tilted in two directions and supported by tree-trunk columns. The outer walls of the existing building are clad with timber boarding and battens, which, like the columns and laminated beams, were treated with a mixture of tar and linseed oil. Some of the existing partitions and floors were removed to open up the internal spaces. The new structure, which accommodates the lecture hall, is in squared log construction.